213 total views
Keep an eye out for any choking dangers.
Toys provide the greatest risk of choking and asphyxia at this age. Small pieces that may be ingested by a youngster are particularly hazardous. Don’t give a toy to a kid under three if it or its pieces could fit completely inside a 35mm film canister. To determine whether a toy or detachable element is too tiny, the ACCC offers a free tutorial on how to create your own Choke Check equipment.
Avoid the following items while shopping for children’s toys:
Toys that are tiny enough to be put in their mouths are dangerous. Pull, squeeze, twist, or drop toys containing little parts like beads or buttons that might easily come off (as it will be).
If it has buttons or sewn-on eyes, picture dumping it onto a hard floor or pulling at it a few times. Do they seem to be brittle enough to separate? How frail is the whole thing, and how likely is it to break or fall apart? Consider a different option if that’s the case.
Are they long-lasting and easy to clean?
Children, especially babies and toddlers, are notorious for soiled and chewed-up toys.
Toys that last longer and are easier to clean are better for the youngster. Such as spinosaurus toy, which are long lasting.
Examine the surfaces and edges for flaws
Make certain that:
Surfaces that may be chewed or broken into little pieces, such as sharp edges, sharp points, or rough surfaces.
If a toy has a sharp edge or point, such as a toy sewing machine or toy scissors, be careful to explain your kid how to use it properly and constantly watch them while they are using it.
Verify that a youngster cannot get their fingers stuck in any gaps or holes in the item.
Are there magnets in it?
If eaten, small, strong magnets may be deadly. Swallowing two or more of these magnets may induce intestinal perforations and obstructions, which can lead to infection and even death if the magnets lock together through the intestinal walls.
Toys incorporating magnets will be subject to a new required standard beginning on August 29, 2021. Manufacturers are required by the standard to make certain that dangerous magnets do not detach from a toy while it is being played with. In addition, only scientific sets for children eight years of age and older are allowed to include toys with loose, tiny, high-powered magnets, and these sets must feature an appropriate warning label.
Make sure there are no batteries inside.
Toys often include light and sound features that are powered by batteries. In various toys, they may be found include plush toys, toy automobiles and computerised pets, as well as early learning timepieces and light-up yo-yos.
Battery compartments should be locked with a screw or otherwise made inaccessible to little children to ensure that they are not able to reach them.
Be on the lookout for strange sounds.
For example, walkie-talkies and toy mobile phones, which are held to the child’s ear, might damage the child’s hearing (as well as the sanity of their parents).
Keep an eye out for any traps.
It’s best if toy chests and boxes have a lid that can be removed easily or don’t have one at all so that youngsters can’t become trapped within.
Ventilation holes are required in every toy box large enough to be crawled inside. When the lid is closed, make sure there is at least a 12-millimeter space between the rubber or other stoppers, so that little fingers cannot be crushed and ventilation may be improved.
click here for more articles